Monday, July 5, 2010

More Rally Car Archaeology

Did some more digging on the rally car over the weekend.  My hope was to replace the turbo with the bad seal and to fix an exhaust leak.  After removing the intake manifold and some other components, it all came clear.  The exhaust manifold leak was due to a broken/missing stud and corresponding blown gasket.  Another stud snapped attempting to remove it and I've only removed 4 studs so far!  So it looks certain that the head will need to come off to remove the broken studs. 


The turbo was being replaced anyway, but it looks like it ingested something somewhere along the line! 


And check out the air cleaner.  I've got enough sand to build a castle on the beach.

So in the end, I decided that if I'm going to pull the head, I'm going to build this motor up right.  EFI, header, cam, big valve head, etc.  300HP is the goal.  Hopefully I'll have it done in time for LSPR in the fall.