Monday, December 10, 2012

Close Encounter with Paul Jr.

Dateline: Onaway, Michigan, population 880.  Not exactly the place one expects to find anything of note.  Well, other than some awesome snow-covered rally roads which made the drive to this work assignment a blast this morning (Onaway is in the vicinity of the Sno-Drift Rally). So I'm doing my thing when I see a motorcycle covered with a bedsheet parked in the corner of the living room, guarded by a couple of stuffed bears.  The owner asks if I've ever seen 'American Chopper'.  Sure.  So he pulls the cover off and said he just picked the bike up 2 weeks ago from Paul Jr. Design.  His wife had the bike commissioned as sort of a retirement gift for his business (a power line storm-damage repair company, thus the lightning bolt theme).  He gave me some interesting inside info on the show and the various personalities involved.

OK, these theme bikes are not my cup of tea, but it did look pretty spectacular sitting in the living room.






The paint by Nubby was fairly impressive: